How to block a website
There are many reasons why people ask how to block a website.
Some of the most common reasons are to prevent children from having access to certain site content such as adult and gambling.
For employers, blocking websites is the way to increase employees' productivity.
So we want to show you how to block access to a website and avoid problems connected with it.
The hosts file method and blocking website by using Internet Explorer are free but can be easily bypassed. The best way is using special software such as Employee Monitor (for Business) or Parental Controls (for Home), which lets you block website more effective and has many other features.
How to block a website using HT Employee Monitor
1. Download and install HT Employee Monitor
2. Click the Block Websites button
3. Click the Add button.
4. In the appeared box, type the website address that you want to block or keyword, for example, youtube.com
5. Click OK
HT Employee Monitor is easy to use and effective, allowing you to restrict user activity and internet usage.
What you can do with HT Employee Monitor:
- Block website in the most popular browsers (Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.)
- Ban a website by URL
- Block access to a specific website by keywords
- Block a website by categories (Porn, Gambling, Drugs, Shopping, Chats, etc.)
- Disable any application (instant messengers, browsers, programs, and so on)
- Track and record all your employees' computer activities (launched applications, typed keystrokes, visited web sites, system activity, screenshots and more).
How to block a website using the Hosts file
The location of the hosts file depends on your operation system.
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows 2000 C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe, in case you mess up.
1. Open the hosts file using Notepad or other plain text editor.
2. Find the line 127.0.0.1 localhost
3. To block, for example, the website youtube.com, add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:
4. Save and close the Hosts file.
5. Reboot your computer to apply the changes.
6. Try to open www.youtube.com into a browser.
How to block a website on Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2. Click Internet Options
3. Click on the Content tab
4. Click the Enable button
5. Click on the Approved Sites tab
6. Type the website address you want to block in the box, for example, www.youtube.com
7. Click Never and then OK
8. In the appeared window type and confirm your new password
9. Click on the General tab and make sure to select Users can see websites that have no ratings
10. Click OK
How to block a website in spite of proxy servers
Unfortunately, the hosts file method and blocking a website by using Internet Explorer have a big imperfection. They can be easily bypassed. For example, web-based proxy servers allow getting a blocked website. Also, these methods are not universal and may not fit to a certain computer configuration and a type of a browser. So how to block a website in spite of proxy servers? The best way to block a website is our professional software.
HT Employee Monitor helps you to improve productivity and efficiency of your employees.